Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2024

WOYWW 772

Welcome to Crafting With Jack and What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday, a day when we link up to Julia's Stamping Ground and have a look to see what everyone has been doing.  Sadly Jack is no longer with us. At 17 and a half years he had had a long life.  He was gentle and friendly, loved by all who knew him.


Yesterday I was looking for advice on sealing card so it didn’t use up so much glue.  One of the suggestions was varnish, then I came upon an article about varnish and about how it didn’t keep very long.  So I decided to use it up!  I found 3.  Tiny bit left in one, an almost full tin and a full plastic container.  The plastic container had gone solid, but I used up the other two.

I was sanding down the backs of my 100 backgrounds as there was some bad rippling - a mistake using some rubbish paper as the first layer.  I wasn't doing too brilliantly as my strength is not good, my husband came in.  Went back out and came back with two electric sanders - too fierce! So off he went and came back with sandpaper and proceeded to do all of them!  The ripples were gone along with most of the surface!  

So I decided varnish the backs of those as well as the file folders which were absorbing all my glue..  I managed to do 12 file folders and 49 backgrounds before the tin ran out -  my husband kept saying keep going till the tin is finished 🙈🙈.  

Then shock! Horror!  The surfaces wouldn’t stick together.  Now (Google again!) it's either sandpaper them all or try a coat of gesso or buy a different glue!  So I added a coat of gesso to two of them to see if that works. The backs are looking so much better now I am not sure they need covering 🤣🤣🤣 or 😩😩😩.  Haven’t decided yet!

Yesterday morning I found another varnish - I was using modpodge at the time and it was awful for sticking to itself, but adding a layer of varnish solved the problem.


I have been doing then two at a time, clipping them back to back till the edges are not sticky and then putting them under my cast iron book stand.

So far I have 12 done.  When I have 25 I am making a book.

I have been trying my hand at 3d objects.
The drawing on the right was from the software I use.  Obviously I have more work to do.  It's all trial and error.  Photoshop has a 3d feature, but not Photoshop Elements, unless the latest one has it.





13 comments:

My name is Cindy said...

Sorry to hear about Jack Angela hope you are OK. I am not entirely sure what you have been doing there with all that varnish but hope the book turns out OK!! Have a great week, love n hugs Cindyxx #7

Marit said...

So sorry the dog passed away, 17 years is a long time and it's hard to loose a pet after all those years... the 'thing' you describe with all the sanding and varnishing etc. sounds frustrating... Like Cindy, I don't understand completely what you are trying to stick together (but I'm not a native English speaker... that makes reading and writing in English harder sometimes) but it sounds like you solved the problems now. Good luck making the book! Happy woyww, hug from Holland. Marit #11

Christine said...

Sorry to hear about Jack.
What an interesting post otherwise, lots going on . . . .
Have a good week
Christine #13

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh sorry about your dog. But he sure had a long life.I too don't know what Sealing Card means. Varnish would give it a slick shiny look or aged? Are you making a journal? Good Luck and let us know more. ENJOY a good week

Helen said...

Sorry about Jack. But what a life. Hope you get the book sorted. Happy woyww Helen #1

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Jack was quite a beauty and I bet you really miss him, they may not be with us for very long but they certainly are a big part of the family. I tend to use Daler Rowney Perfix Fixative for pastels which doesn't stop the glue completely from being absorbed into the card or paper so you can still glue something to it. That might help. Wishing you a very happy and creative woyww. Hugs Angela x5x

Annie said...

So sorry to hear about your fur baby….big hugs.
You are an absolute star….I’ve had several incorrect guesses about my plant and you’ve got it. Thanks so much.
Hugs,
Annie x #6

Chana Malkah said...

I am sorry to hear that you lost your crafting buddy, Jack!

Your project sounds very ambitious! I hope you can sort out your varnish issue! It will be interesting to see your book when it is completed!

Have a fabulous week!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah,m WOYWW #22

Lynnecrafts said...

I’m so sorry to hear about Jack. It’s terrible to lose a member of your family.
Your glue /varnish story sounded terrible but your glad you had your husband’s support, even if it didn’t go well.
Take care and happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 15 xx

Lindart said...

So sorry to hear about Jack. Our pets are so much a part of our families, I know you will miss him always, but thinking of him will always bring good memories.
Sounds lie quite the complicated project you are working on! Looking forward to seeing the finished book! Sorry I'm late this week, I have a tiny window today where I can look at everyone's blogs! Have a great week, Lindart #19

BJ said...

Sorry to hear about Jack, I always think of you are "Jack" so an not to mix my Angela's up. Oh my goodness you have been doing a lot with your background papers, hope you get them all sorted soon and a super book made. Hugs BJ#9

Catnip and Kitty Whiskers said...

I'm so sorry about Jack! You are in my thoughts!
You've been doing some wonderful creating! Hope your project turns out just the way you like it! (((HUGS!)))

Spyder said...

So sorry about Jack. Mr Jinx, my cat was 17 and he passed away last year. Hope your project turns out the way you wat it to! ((Lyn))