Pages

Wednesday 23 October 2024

WOYWW 803

Welcome to Crafting With Jack and What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday, a day when we link up to Sarah's Craftshed and have a look to see what everyone has been doing. 


I added wax to some backgrounds I made last week with my rock pigment watercolours, and then polished them until the colour stopped coming off. I tried Liquitex on a couple of others.  Both the Wax and the Liquitex worked at sealing the paint and stop the colour coming off on my fingers all the time.  The left hand side are the originals and the right are sealed.


The paints seem to grow a little mould every day, I have been scraping off and throwing the mould part away, so I decided to top them up with distilled water, but the mould floated to the top!   I decided to do some more backgrounds with them today.  I had a very happy play!  The first background I did the paint was very patchy and I decided to mix in some PVA glue with the paint.  I added quite a bit and made lots of brush marks.  The second one I used a fine hole stencil mesh, I couldn't get a print by laying paper over the stencil so I put the stencil that had been on the paper on fresh paper and repeated a few times.  then I pressed the paper onto the painted paper and did a few lift offs.  The bottom layer is actually the same colour as the rest, but came out different.


I had several bottles of the PVA glue and I decided to mix the watercolours with it.  I had some very old ink bottles, which you can see above.  The watercolours turned from slightly lumpy to very smooth and I think a better colour.  I guess the proof will be in the using, stay tuned for more news :)

The desk!

I just had to share this with you.  My talented granddaughter made me a niffler for my birthday - a creature from The Fantastic Beasts films - and a fabulous Hogwarts card with a little note in an envelope asking me to look after the niffler from Newt Scamander himself.

Wishing you all a great week!  Angela x

6 comments:

Helen said...

Shame about the mould. I love the niffler though, she's got good crafting genes !! Happy woyww Helen #2

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I am wondering whether mixing mould killer additive to the paint would do the trick. DIY stores sell it. the Niffler is adorable, love it. Wishing you a very happy and creative woyww, Angela x10x

Diana Taylor said...

You have some lovely results with the paints - they certainly sound challening though. I wonder what is used to stop paints moulding, I would worry about the fumes from domestic mould removers. I love your Niffler and card - what a lovely birthday gift from your granddaughter.
Hope you have a good week (and an interesting one with your paints!).
Diana xx #12

Sarah Brennan said...

Love your experimentation with the paints Angela. That Niffler and card are amazing! Stay safe and thanks for joining in with WOYWW. Sarah

BJ said...

Hi there, making a concerted effort to get round EVERYONE today after my busy conference week last week.
Love the wax sealing, you'll have to let me know which one you use. I used my hairspray on my ATCs - LOL. Never heard of rock pigment water colours and the mould must be a pain too. What a thoughtful birthday present, sorry I missed your birthday last week, I was a bit preoccupied with the conference! Scrolling down to last week and now I see the rock pigment watercolours weren't your best buy, but you are making the most of them.
Hugs BJ#9

Morti said...

That niffler is amazing, as is the little note. What a wonderful gift! I love your paint experiments but have you worked out what the mould is yet? Might want to get it analysed, in case it's hazardous to health. You may be better off disposing of it completely and buying new, if that's possible?

Morti #15