Welcome to Crafting With Jack and What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday. Linking up at Sarah’s CraftShed.
I am not sure if I bought this for me or as a present, it was from The Range ages ago. Anyway, when my great nieces came over when we were based near to my niece. I gave them most of the animal ones to colour in and a few days ago decided to have a go myself. It didn’t strike me before, but these are practically complete sketches rather than line drawings. I did the doves first and was pleased with them, when I came to do the roses however, it was much harder to get the colour to show. I use Crayola pencil crayons, not the best, but a good quality nonetheless. I don’t know how many layers I used before I got the colour density I was after. (Picture below) Then I used Vaseline, something I had not tried before. The comparison is clearer in real life, but the colour is more vibrant in the second picture.
I then decided to use a white acrylic paint over the next page to make the lines fade. Gesso would have been better, but I probably would have still got brush marks. I did actually like the brush marks on the leaves, I used sandpaper to make the mug a little smoother. However, the only suitable green kept breaking, so very quickly went from complete pencil to stump. I did try mixing in the other greens, but they didn’t look right, so I have started using acrylic paint.
Maybe I will do the next one in another medium entirely!
I just realized I have not put my Apple Watch on. It’s no wonder I don’t reach my fitness targets!
8 comments:
Happy too-hot WOYWW!
Love your experimental nature - a gal after my own heart for sure. The Vaseline does make the colours so much more vibrant and it's a great trick - and cheaper than... is it gamsol? Something a lot of pencil artists use to smooth and make the colours pop. Oh and I read if a pencil is EVER dropped, the lead inside will break and it will keep breaking even when you sharpen it. Urban legend or the truth? Who knows...
Mary Anne (6)
Hi Angela, lovely work there. I love vaseline, it's so useful for all kinds of techniques and not used it for ages. Have fun and a happy woyww, Angela x7x
I love your paintings and can see how the vaseline is making the colours pop.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 9 xx
Those coloring pages are beautiful, and you did a marvelous job on those doves. I don't have an Apple Watch, but I do keep track of my steps on my iPhone. I even subscribed to the Fitness App workouts, so I try to do the workouts regularly. Happy WOYWW!
Oh the Vaseline is a brilliant trick, it’s photographed well, clever you. Gorgeous pics and of course, blackberries are totally on trend right now!
I’ve never heard of the Vaseline trick before, doesn’t it make a massive difference!? And cheaper than yet more artist supplies! You’ve done a great job, the blackberries look really real!
Hugs LLJ 2 xx
Great colouring experiments, Angela! the vaseline is a good trick Happy WOYWW Helen #3
Super drawings to colour in and vaseline really enhances the colours, who'd have thought? Love the way you are trying different mediums. Hugs BJ#11
Post a Comment